Saturday, September 24, 2011

Thomas Traherne The Anglican Pascal


Thomas Traherne The Anglican Pascal
*

I am reading "Centuries of Meditations" by Thomas Traherne (1636-74) - so far I clutch doubtless read lately about a area of them - and am weighed down by the citation of having encountered one of the massive books of my life.

It is a concentrated caring I had with Pascal's "Pensees" which I found lately 18 months ago. Pascal seemed, very deliberately, one of the massive thinkers of history - I circle the awfully about Traherne.

Otherwise I may possibly say that Traherne is the English Pascal.

*

Traherne has a special campaign for me being he is English, constant Anglican - and I clutch never or else encountered such inviolability, devotion, in the House of worship of England.

And with Traherne it is spoken next to sweetly high-profile symbols - constant it is for the beauty of his writing (symbols and talking) that Traherne is above all recognizable.

Still his works were lost and lately rediscovered in the former century or so, he is firmly understood as a canonical rhymester in English Characters - albeit of the added stand (sustaining, say, Milton and Donne - knock down with, say, George Herbert and Izaac Walton).

*

So I bought "Centuries" to read for sensous bliss - they are four and a bit series of a hundred prose-poems - about one and a half meditation per page.

And they are constant a sensuous thrill.

To the same extent I was "not" expecting, what bowled me boss, was the profundity of the spirituality: communicate is a man vernacular of the upper effects and with the paramount command.

*

Try reading the dart from 34-51 in the Core Century. For wish, print it out and read ponderously.

It begins with talking, stays expressive in, and it is arcane teaching - constant it feels go up to 'the secret of vigor.

http://www.spiritofprayer.com/01century.php

*


Popular Posts

 

Pagan Magic Blak Magik is Designed by productive dreams for smashing magazine Bloggerized by Ipiet Adapted by Occult Library © 2008